Record display stand: New iterations

Last July, I set out to design a vinyl record display stand. I have updated the design to be more unique and more refined. While I do not believe it is 100% complete, these iterations are much more improved.

For purposes of 3d printing, the cone feet will not work. The point is too sharp and there is not enough structure for the rest of the build since I plan to print with no support.

I then tried cylinders for feet, but did not like them. Also, I had to still angle the main base since I would not be able to 3d print it as is. I needed to create an angle.

With that in mind, I then ended up at the design below. 

The idea for this design was to introduce some sharper edges and smoother curves. I feel like I accomplished that, but I will continue to work on it.


The quest to design a new vinyl record display stand

In 2011, when I began collecting vinyl records again, I wanted a way to display the record I was playing at the time. I was looking for a small stand that was capable of displaying one vinyl record.

While on a museum visit, I came across what appeared to be an unused plastic display stand. It looked like it would have been perfect for this function. I asked a museum employee if I could purchase this item, but they surpassed my expectations and gave it to me for free. This small piece of plastic did exactly what I wanted it to do for the past 4 years.

Unfortunately, this makeshift vinyl record display stand has met its demise by way of an extra hard fall to the floor.

Because of this sudden loss, I set out to design a new vinyl record display stand using this one as a reference. My first iteration was somewhat successful but a bit bulkier in some areas, most notably, the front feet. This was a design choice to minimize cantilevers so the piece could be 3D printer without support.

I plan on making more iterations of this design.